Sunday, February 22, 2015

Project Blog (Week 2)


Welcome, to Ase Attire! Here we will be making our own shirts and have total control over what happens. We use cultural or tribal designs to influence our shirts. We plan to use similar techniques used by the Native Americans, Greeks and Romans, Africans and the Arabs. We think that these designs and techniques are nice and can’t be found on many other shirts on the internet. So we have taken advantage of this in order to set ourselves apart from the competition. Intricate patterns, simple designs, and excellent quality.

                This week we launched the social media outlets and have started showing some of the designs (They’ve been posted on the blog already). We made an Instagram (with 26 followers in a day and counting), a Facebook page, a twitter, the actual website domain name has been bought and we have Nathan Leung (of Leung Enterprises) making it. We don’t have many designs to show yet, but you can’t really get a respectable company up and running in less than two months.

I’m starting to think that this project will be less about sales and actual selling of the shirts as much as it will be about preparing it and all the things that go on behind the scenes. Personally, I think that the creative side of the shirt business is simpler, but harder to report on. While on Arslan’s side, it’s rather black and white and not really varying in information. There are set rules to a business plan and methods that have been proving for balancing a proper budget. But the creativity aspect is an open-ended question where the answer is left up to the artist and the accuracy is up to the customer. There isn’t a right or a wrong way. There are just things that work and things that don’t.

My tasks in the upcoming weeks are to design (obviously) and look up the importance of self-expression, culture, and diversity in human life. If culture is going to be part of my inspiration, then it’s imperative that I research its role in society and everyday life. So look out for a few articles or websites I may post in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I really like your idea and I love that it's something you're passionate about rather than something you just chose for the school project. Your designs look great, I can't wait to see the real things! There will definitely be a lot to learn from the process of preparing the shirts that you'll be able to use later in life. Good luck with your shirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Abby! And I'm really excited to share my designs to.

      Delete
  2. Hey Mohammed,
    Thanks for the shoutout! The website's looking pretty good so far (see http://i.imgur.com/ztUxlkM.jpg), I just need to fix up the contact page. Once you hit me up with some designs, I can get the store page up, too!

    You said that "you can't really get a respectable company up and running in two months." Realize that the student body of Wissahickon High School is a vastly underutilized market in terms of both advertising potential and your product. I'm betting that through social media (especially Instagram) word of your company will spread like wildfire. If your company turns out great shirts, which I'm sure it will, growth will be exponential. Market, market, market, and while you're doing that have fun making shirts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathan, make sure to let Arslan know that as well. My job is mostly the creative side and his is the marketing-business-advertisement side. But I'll make sure to capitalize on my peers.

      Delete